Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New notebook and pen holder

Here is the latest project I have been working on. My new (hopefully improved) notebook and pen holders.

Notebook and pen roll holder closed

Actually, I am calling them notebook and pen roll holders. Does that make sense? Now that I have typed that it kind of looks like it's a holder for notebook and pen roll's. Hmm... Oh well. Maybe you can see what I am getting at when you look at the pictures.

Notebook and pen roll holder

When I made the notebook and pen holders for Esther and Ellamay's birthday's last year, I followed a couple of tutorials I found but mostly just made it up as I went because I wanted the notebook to be held in a different way. The way I made the last ones only had space for ten pens too. I had bought packs that had twelve pens. My solution to this last year was to leave out the grey and the dark blue pen. I figured they would use the other colours more and they could have the extra pens if they wrecked any of the ones they had. This time though, I decided I would make the holder have enough spaces for the full set.

Notebook and pen roll holder open

I measured and figured and made a pattern. I wasn't really sure how it would end up but I didn't let that stop me :-) Once I had finished the sewing I put in the pens and notebook. It didn't look right just having it folded in half so I just folded the pens on top of themselves to put it away and think about it for a while. I kept coming back to it and decided that it looked pretty cool they way I had packed it up. So there it was. I attached the button and smiled. A finished project.

Notebook and pen roll holder half closed

I made two pretty quickly (aka: over a couple of days - I had help from Amelia you see) and have two more cut out ready to sew. I now have an excuse to go and buy some more colours of this fabric. The little girl who received the pink one loved it which makes me happy that I persisted with the project and that it didn't disappear into the mid-craft pile (as so many projects often do). And Esther and Ellamay told me that everyone in their class wants one now. It looks like I will be getting a lot better at sewing these too :-)

Pretty pens

Meanwhile, don't you just love pretty pens all lined up. I do. Stationery is lovely. I think I might add one of these for me to the list. I deserve one too. What colours to make it though?

5 comments:

  1. I really should get motivated and make something like this for my paintbrushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you everyone. Naomi - You should make one. That would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenyce. I just found your site through One Pretty Thing--the lighthouses are fantastic! I think I'll have to make a pen roll soon, too, as my adult son would love one. (Of course I have quite a few other projects half done...oh well, that's how it goes.) Cheers from Kate in Oregon, where it's also unseasonably cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! they are adorable, how do I make one?
    please teach us, pleeeeeaaaase :)

    ReplyDelete